St. Alban-Anlage 66,
4052 Basel, Switzerland
Tel. +41 61 683 77 34
Fax: +41 61 302 89 18
For more contact information, see here.
Funding of Article Processing Charges (APCs)
Many funding agencies explicitly allow the use of research grants for the payment of Article Processing Charges (APCs) to publish in open access journals. In addition, numerous institutes have created central funds to cover APCs.
Many institutes have established central funds to cover the APCs for open access:
- Co-Action maintains a list of institutional publishing funds.
- SPARC maintains a list of North American universities and university libraries that have created APC funds.
- The Open Access Directory also features a list of institutional funds for open access publishing.
More and more research funders explicitly allow researchers to use their grants for paying APCs for publishing in open access journals:
- Sherpa has a consolidated list of Research funders' open access policies by country.
- In the United Kingdom:
- The Wellcome Trust requires research to be open access and from 1 April 2017 publishers must comply with certain requirements. MDPI has registered as a compliant publisher.
- Authors funded under any of the UK Research Councils (RCUK) can pay for APCs from their block grants for papers submitted for publication after 1 April 2013.
- HEFCE’s policy is “that all research arising from HEFCE funding should be as widely and freely accessible as the available channels for dissemination permit”.
- In the USA:
- The NIH public access policy aims to ensure "the public has access to the published results of NIH funded research."
- The OSTP policy on Open Access, outlined by Director John P. Holdren, is defined to ensure "results of federally funded scientific research are made available to and useful for the public, industry, and the scientific community. Such results include peer-reviewed publications and digital data [...]"
- In Europe:
- Authors that are funded by the European Commission FP7 program are eligible for reimbursement of the article processing charges. Details can be found in the FP7 model Grant Agreement.
- Switzerland: Researchers receiving Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) funding can cover costs of publication in OA journals via the project budget.
- Further: Open Access publications from research funding under Horizon 2020 will be mandatory, and expected to be effective as of 2014, thus allowing for the results of publicly funded research and innovation to be maximised.
Authors affiliated with an institute participating in our open access program receive discounts on APCs:
The MDPI Institutional Open Access Program (IOAP) provides discounts on the APCs to authors from participating institutes. During submission of an article, the author can select and confirm the affiliation directly in our online system. If a participant provides us with the IP range information of the institute, an automatic pre-selection can be made in the system.
The corresponding or leading authors of a paper must be associated with the listed institutes to benefit of the discount. The institute can decide if the APCs are to be paid centrally (central invoicing), or paid in full by the authors (non-central invoicing).
The full list of existing IOAP participants can be found here.
Open Access initiatives also help authors with publishing costs:
MDPI is proud to participate in the Knowledge Unlatched (KU) initiative, which covers Article Processing Charges (APCs) for papers in Humanities and Social Sciences titles through a crowd-funding mechanism.
As of 2018, APCs for some or all articles published in the following MDPI journals are planned to be covered via the KU scheme:
- Social Sciences
- International Journal of Financial Studies
This is a pilot program experimenting ways to support authors to submit and publish for free in open access.
A number of institutions around the world have kindly participated in this initiative and we would like to thank them for generously providing their support and contribution:
|James Cook University||Australia|
|Queensland University of Technology||Australia|
|University of New England||Australia|
|La Trobe University||Australia|
|University of Melbourne||Australia|
|University of Queensland||Australia|
|University of South Australia||Australia|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||Canada|
|Simon Fraser University||Canada|
|University of Guelph||Canada|
|University of Toronto||Canada|
|York University (CA)||Canada|
|Dartmouth College||United States|
|Denison University||United States|
|East Carolina University||United States|
|Grand Valley State University||United States|
|Indiana University Bloomington||United States|
|Iowa State University||United States|
|Macalester College||United States|
|Smith College||United States|
|SUNY at Albany||United States|
|Temple University||United States|
|University of California Berkeley||United States|
|University of California San Diego||United States|
|University of California Los Angeles||United States|
|University of California Merced||United States|
|University of Colorado Boulder||United States|
|University of Denver||United States|
|University of Oregon||United States|
|University of Texas System||United States|
|Washburn University||United States|
|Williams College||United States|
|University of Rhode Island||United States|
|Duke University||United States|
|Harvard University||United States|
|Kenyon College||United States|
|Purdue University||United States|
|University of Kansas||United States|
|University of Virginia||United States|
|Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) (Ruhr University Bochum)||Germany|
|Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Humboldt University Berlin)||Germany|
|Freie Universität Berlin (FU) (Free University of Berlin)||Germany|
|Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main (University of Frankfurt/M)||Germany|
|Technische Universität (TU) Berlin (Technical University Berlin)||Germany|
|Fernuniversität Hagen (University of Hagen)||Germany|
|Max Planck Digital Library||Germany|
|Universitätsbibliothek Bern (University Library of Berne)||Switzerland|
|University of St. Gallen||Switzerland|
|Zentralbibliothek Zürich (Central Library of Zurich)||Switzerland|
|Ashesi University College||Ghana|
|John Cabot University||Italy|
|Universiteit van Amsterdam||Netherlands|
|Forman Christian College||Pakistan|
|Cardiff University||United Kingdom|
|The British Library||United Kingdom|
|University of Leicester||United Kingdom|
|University of Liverpool||United Kingdom|
|University of Manchester||United Kingdom|
|University of Northampton||United Kingdom|
|University of Salford||United Kingdom|
|University of Sheffield||United Kingdom|
|University of Exeter||United Kingdom|
|University of Surrey||United Kingdom|
|American University of Paris||France|
|Bibliothèque royale de Belgique (Royal Library of Belgium)||Belgium|
Read more about KU here: http://www.knowledgeunlatched.org