Next Article in Journal
Modeling and Testing Strategies for an Interconnected Four-Pole Magnetic Bearing
Previous Article in Journal
Design and Characterization of In-Plane Piezoelectric Microactuators
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Actuators 2017, 6(2), 20; doi:10.3390/act6020020

Measuring the Temperature Increase of an Ultrasonic Motor in a 3-Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging System

1
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Rosebrugh Building, 164 College Street, Room 407, Toronto, ON M5S3G9, Canada
2
Division of Neurosurgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Room 1504, Toronto, ON M5G1X8, Canada
3
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, 5 King’s College Road, Room 106, Toronto, ON M5S3G8, Canada
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Delbert Tesar
Received: 18 January 2017 / Revised: 29 May 2017 / Accepted: 29 May 2017 / Published: 6 June 2017
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [2995 KB, uploaded 6 June 2017]   |  

Abstract

This paper aims to evaluate the temperature increase caused by a 3.0-T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) system on an ultrasonic motor (USM) used to actuate surgical robots in the MRI environment. Four fiber-optic temperature sensors were attached to the USM. Temperature was monitored outside the five-Gauss boundary and then inside the bore for 20 min while the USM was powered on. The USM temperature was tested for two states of the scanner, “off” and “on”, by employing common clinical imaging sequences and echo planar imaging sequences. The USM showed a slight temperature increase while operating in the static field of the MRI. A considerable temperature increase (~10 °C) was observed when the scanner was on. The temperature increased to 60 °C, which is beyond the acceptable safe temperature and can result in thermal burns. Most of the temperature increase (80%) was due to effects of the static field on the motion of the rotating parts of the motor, while the remainder (20%) derived from heat deposited in the conductive components of the USM due to radiofrequency pulses and gradient field changes. To solve the temperature increase, the metal components of the USM’s case can be replaced by silicon carbide. View Full-Text
Keywords: MRI-compatibility; ultrasonic motor; temperature increase; safety; robotic surgery MRI-compatibility; ultrasonic motor; temperature increase; safety; robotic surgery
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Shokrollahi, P.; Drake, J.M.; Goldenberg, A.A. Measuring the Temperature Increase of an Ultrasonic Motor in a 3-Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging System. Actuators 2017, 6, 20.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Actuators EISSN 2076-0825 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top