Next Article in Journal
Impacts of Thermal Time on Land Surface Phenology in Urban Areas
Next Article in Special Issue
Trends in Greenness and Snow Cover in Alaska’s Arctic National Parks, 2000–2016
Previous Article in Journal
Classification for High Resolution Remote Sensing Imagery Using a Fully Convolutional Network
Article Menu
Issue 5 (May) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Remote Sens. 2017, 9(5), 497; doi:10.3390/rs9050497

Multi-Decadal Surface Water Dynamics in North American Tundra

1
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Biospheric Sciences Lab, Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
2
Science Systems and Applications Incorporated, Lanham, MD 20706, USA
3
Department of Geographical Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editors: Howard E. Epstein, Martha K. Raynolds, Xiaofeng Li and Prasad S. Thenkabail
Received: 11 March 2017 / Revised: 11 May 2017 / Accepted: 16 May 2017 / Published: 18 May 2017
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Remote Sensing of Arctic Tundra)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [7138 KB, uploaded 18 May 2017]   |  

Abstract

Over the last several decades, warming in the Arctic has outpaced the already impressive increases in global mean temperatures. The impact of these increases in temperature has been observed in a multitude of ecological changes in North American tundra including changes in vegetative cover, depth of active layer, and surface water extent. The low topographic relief and continuous permafrost create an ideal environment for the formation of small water bodies—a definitive feature of tundra surface. In this study, water bodies in Nunavut territory in northern Canada were mapped using a long-term record of remotely sensed observations at 30 m spatial resolution from the Landsat suite of instruments. The temporal trajectories of water extent between 1985 and 2015 were assessed. Over 675,000 water bodies have been identified over the 31-year study period with over 168,000 showing a significant (p < 0.05) trend in surface area. Approximately 55% of water bodies with a significant trend were increasing in size while the remaining 45% were decreasing in size. The overall net trend for water bodies with a significant trend is 0.009 ha year−1 per water body. View Full-Text
Keywords: water; remote sensing; Landsat; time series; Arctic; tundra; lake water; remote sensing; Landsat; time series; Arctic; tundra; lake
Figures

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Carroll, M.L.; Loboda, T.V. Multi-Decadal Surface Water Dynamics in North American Tundra. Remote Sens. 2017, 9, 497.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Remote Sens. EISSN 2072-4292 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top