A section of Metabolites (ISSN 2218-1989).
Metabolomics within plant science involves the large-scale study of small molecules, also known as metabolites (polar and lipophilic primary metabolites, secondary metabolites, and volatiles), within plant tissues, inclusive of root, stem and leaf tissues, as well as grains/seeds and fruits. Plant metabolomics and volatilomics involve the identification and comparative (relative) or absolute quantification of the thousands of cellular metabolites or volatile metabolites and their interactions, applying LC-MS (MS/MS and multi stage MSn) to primary metabolites, lipids and secondary metabolites, GC-MS of volatiles (SPME and TD analysis) and primary metabolites (MOX-TMS derivatives), as well as 1D and 2D-NMR, analytical approaches.
Within the Plant Sciences section, topics of interest include but are not limited to studies of:
- Plant, fruit and seed, development and physiology;
- Plant disease;
- Plant interactions with insects and rhizosphere microbes;
- Plant-derived natural products and waste stream valorisation;
- Nutrition in plant-derived foodstuffs.
Metabolites warmly welcomes submissions based on the application of metabolomics within plant science, from biological-based studies in the above-outlined areas, through to analytical method development, metabolite identification method development, MS and NMR imaging development, metabolite database and library development, and informatics and data workflow development in plant sciences.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Plant and Derived Natural Product Metabolomics Volume 2 (Deadline: 15 November 2021)
- Cannabis Metabolites (Deadline: 15 November 2021)
- Advances in Plant Specialized Metabolites: How to Take Full Advantages of the Properties of Specialized Metabolites? (Deadline: 15 November 2021)
- Plant Metabolomics II (Deadline: 30 November 2021)
- Annotation of Plant and Fungal Metabolites in MS-Based Metabolomics (Deadline: 15 December 2021)
- Metabolisms and Bioavailability Assessment of Natural Products in Chronic Diseases (Deadline: 15 February 2022)
- Plant Protection Meets Metabolomics (Deadline: 28 February 2022)
- NMR-Based Metabolomics in Medicinal Plants Research (Deadline: 31 March 2022)
- Plant Secondary Metabolites in Rangelands (Deadline: 31 December 2022)