Automatic Detection of Dynamic and Static Activities of the Elderly using a Wearable Sensor and Support Vector Machines (Version 1, Original)
|Reviewer 1 Rodrigo Martín San Agustín University of Valencia||Reviewer 2 Veralia Gabriela Sanchez USN School of Business Department of Business, Marketing and Law Campus Ringerike (A 313)|
Approved with revisions
Approved with revisions
|Approved||Approved with revisions|
Zhang, J.; Soangra, R.; E. Lockhart, T. Automatic Detection of Dynamic and Static Activities of the Elderly using a Wearable Sensor and Support Vector Machines. Sci 2020, 2, 38.
Zhang J, Soangra R, E. Lockhart T. Automatic Detection of Dynamic and Static Activities of the Elderly using a Wearable Sensor and Support Vector Machines. Sci. 2020; 2(2):38.Chicago/Turabian Style
Zhang, Jian; Soangra, Rahul; E. Lockhart, Thurmon. 2020. "Automatic Detection of Dynamic and Static Activities of the Elderly using a Wearable Sensor and Support Vector Machines." Sci 2, no. 2: 38.
Article Access Statistics
University of Valencia
The paper makes a well-structured and interesting analysis of the use of a Wearable Sensor and Support Vector Machines to autodetect Dynamic and Static Activities of elderly individuals. Although the present study is interesting, some aspects must be improved for its final publication.
My main concern is related to the introduction. These details are developed later. On the other hand, I recommend consistently maintaining the order between Dynamic and Static Activities. For the title, dynamics appear first, but in methods, statics are first analyzed. Also, static activity can lead to confusion, since an activity is understood as something dynamic. I suggest reformulating the idea. In addition, English has to be revised, especially the use of the Oxford comma.
Two main recommendations I suggest to the authors.
First, the second paragraph where it analyzes the literature, considers that it must be reformulated and changes the detected structure "Najafi et al. Used ... Lee et al. Proposed ..." A possible alternative would be: "Numerous classification algorithms exist to provide human motion classification patterns, such as gyroscope data and the wavelet method, a linear discriminant analysis method, ... "A second sentence would be used for the uses of these methods. "... to analyze the" sit-to-stand "transition in relation to fall risk ...".
Second, the information collected on page 3 and beginning of page 4, I believe should be described in methods. The end of the introduction should focus more on the gap and not on the SVM methodology.
Other minor comments are:
Second paragraph. Cvetković et al. not underlined.
Fourth paragraph. Support Vector Machines change for SVMs.
Materials and Methods
Step 1-5. I suggest putting the title of each step in bold.
Response to Reviewer 1Sent on 11 Jul 2020 by Jian Zhang, Rahul Soangra, Thurmon E. Lockhart
USN School of Business Department of Business, Marketing and Law Campus Ringerike (A 313)
- The use of the word “elderly” has a negative connotation in English. Are the authors targeting “older people” or “elderly”? In section 2.1, the participants' age suggest they are in the older people category. However, the authors do not state if they were healthy or not. Please make sure to use the correct term in the article.
The sentence “Finally, Begg et al. used the SVM classifier to analyze the minimum foot clearance owing to aging .” The word “finally” suggest that the only research in this area are the few mentioned in this paragraph, which is not the case. Please revise.
Sec2.1: The data collection was “approved by the Institutional Review Board at Virginia Tech”. Were there other ethical consideration taken into account? If so, please report them.
- Section 3.2 says “Firstly, 60 sets of data were split into training data and test data evenly, and then LibSVM with random SVM parameters was used to obtain a classification accuracy of 60%.” It is not clear what the other 40% was used for. Please clarify.
English language needs to be revised, there were several minor mistakes.
The last paragraph of the discussion “ Conclusions based on this study should be considered in the context of its limitations. First…” should be moved to a new section called “limitations". If possible a section "limitation and strengths" would strengthen this article.
References (in main text and reference section) need to be re-formatted and consistent. Some article titles are italics, while sometimes the journals are italic and the article title is not.
- The article would strengthen if the authors find more research to cite. SVM and older people activitie recognition is a very common area of research.