Next Article in Journal
Metabolic Alterations, Aggressive Hormone-Naïve Prostate Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease: A Complex Relationship
Previous Article in Journal
The Effects of Tai Chi Chuan Versus Core Stability Training on Lower-Limb Neuromuscular Function in Aging Individuals with Non-Specific Chronic Lower Back Pain
Article Menu
Issue 3 (March) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessArticle

Distribution and Characteristics of Hypouricemia within the Japanese General Population: A Cross-Sectional Study

Department of Pharmacoepidemiology, Graduate School of Medicine and Public Health, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Center for the Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine and Hypertension, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890-0075, Japan
Kagoshima Kouseiren Medical Health Care Center, Kagoshima 890-0062, Japan
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Medicina 2019, 55(3), 61;
Received: 25 December 2018 / Revised: 24 February 2019 / Accepted: 25 February 2019 / Published: 4 March 2019
PDF [778 KB, uploaded 4 March 2019]


Background and objectives: There is insufficient epidemiological knowledge of hypouricemia. In this study, we aimed to describe the distribution and characteristics of Japanese subjects with hypouricemia. Materials and Methods: Data from subjects who underwent routine health checkups from January 2001 to December 2015 were analyzed in this cross-sectional study. A total of 246,923 individuals, which included 111,117 men and 135,806 women, met the study criteria. The participants were divided into quartiles according to their serum uric acid (SUA) levels. We subdivided the subjects with hypouricemia, which was defined as SUA level ≤ 2.0 mg/dL, into two groups and compared their characteristics, including their cardiovascular risks. Results: The hypouricemia rates were 0.46% overall, 0.21% for the men and 0.66% for the women (P < 0.001). The number of the subjects with hypouricemia showed two distributions at SUA levels of 0.4–1.1 mg/dL (lower hypouricemia group), which included a peak at 0.7–0.8 mg/dL, and at SUA levels of 1.4–2.0 mg/dL (higher hypouricemia group). The men in the higher hypouricemia group had lower body mass indexes (BMI) and triglyceride (TG) levels and had higher fasting blood glucose levels than those in the lower hypouricemia group. The women in the higher hypouricemia group were younger; had lower BMI, total protein, TG, total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels; and had higher estimated glomerular filtration rates levels compared to those in the lower hypouricemia group. Conclusions: The characteristics of the individuals in the lower and higher hypouricemia groups differed significantly, indicating different pathophysiologies within each group. View Full-Text
Keywords: epidemiology; renal insufficiency; renal hypouricemia; sex difference epidemiology; renal insufficiency; renal hypouricemia; sex difference

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited (CC BY 4.0).

Supplementary material


Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Kawasoe, S.; Ide, K.; Usui, T.; Kubozono, T.; Yoshifuku, S.; Miyahara, H.; Maenohara, S.; Ohishi, M.; Kawakami, K. Distribution and Characteristics of Hypouricemia within the Japanese General Population: A Cross-Sectional Study. Medicina 2019, 55, 61.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics



[Return to top]
Medicina EISSN 1010-660X Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top