Next Article in Journal
The role of D-dimer in the diagnosis of strangulated small-bowel obstruction
Previous Article in Journal
Risk factors of main cancer sites
Medicina is published by MDPI from Volume 54 Issue 1 (2018). Articles in this Issue were published by another publisher in Open Access under a CC-BY (or CC-BY-NC-ND) licence. Articles are hosted by MDPI on mdpi.com as a courtesy and upon agreement with Lithuanian Medical Association, Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, and Vilnius University.
Open AccessArticle

Importance of repeat laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy for detection of prostate cancer in high-risk patients

1
Department of Urology
2
Department of Surgery, Kaunas University of Medicine, Lithuania
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Medicina 2007, 43(11), 843; https://doi.org/10.3390/medicina43110108
Received: 27 September 2007 / Accepted: 12 November 2007 / Published: 17 November 2007
Our purpose was to evaluate the relevance of repeat laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy for detection of prostate cancer in high-risk patients.
Material and methods
. Our study included 195 men at high risk for prostate cancer (elevated prostatespecific antigen level and/or abnormal prostate detected by digital rectal examination). We consulted the patients in outpatient department of Kaunas University of Medicine Hospital during 2003–2007. We performed transrectal ultrasound-guided laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy in every patient. For the patients with benign histological findings and increased risk of prostate cancer, laterally directed sextant biopsies were repeated.
Results
. Prostate cancer was detected in 30.3% of patients (59/195) on the first prostate biopsy, in 13.1% (11/84) on the second prostate biopsy, in 10.3% (4/39) on the third, and in 7.7% (1/13) on the forth biopsy. After all biopsies, prostate cancer was detected in 38.5% (75/195) of patients, and it differed significantly from the percentage of prostate cancer cases detected on the first biopsy (30.3%, P=0.04). We detected 78.7% (59/75) of all prostate cancer cases by the first laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy. The rest 21.3% (16/75) of cases we detected by repeat biopsies. The second laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy revealed additional 14.6% (n=11) of prostate cancer cases and increased the detection of prostate cancer to 93.3% (70/75). At the time of the first prostate biopsy, prostate cancer was diagnosed most frequently when patients had both risk factors: elevated prostate-specific antigen level and abnormal digital prostate examination; prostate cancer was diagnosed in 45.3% of these patients. The odds ratio to detect prostate cancer by the first biopsy in patients with elevated prostate-specific antigen level and abnormal digital prostate examination was 3.7, and odds ratio to detect prostate cancer by repeat biopsies was 4.7.
Conclusions
. Repeat ultrasound-guided laterally directed sextant prostate biopsies reveal more cases of prostate cancer as compared to the first prostate biopsy. The majority of prostate cancer cases (93.3%) are detected by the first and second laterally directed sextant prostate biopsies. After the first negative prostate biopsy, we recommend to repeat prostate biopsy in high-risk patients.
Keywords: repeat laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy; prostate cancer repeat laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy; prostate cancer
MDPI and ACS Style

Vaičiūnas, K.; Auškalnis, S.; Matjošaitis, A.; Mickevičius, A.; Mickevičius, R.; Trumbeckas, D.; Jievaltas, M. Importance of repeat laterally directed sextant prostate biopsy for detection of prostate cancer in high-risk patients. Medicina 2007, 43, 843.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Only visits after 24 November 2015 are recorded.
Back to TopTop