Special Issue "Quantum Dots: From Synthesis to Applications in Biomedicine and Life Sciences"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 May 2009)
Dr. Gregor Drummen
BIO & NANO-SOLUTIONS, Bielefeld, Germany
Phone: +49 211 40 51 810
Fax: +49 211 47 45 476
Interests: quantum dots; bionanotechnology; two-photon fluorescence imaging; cellular imaging; fluorescence microscopy; nucleic acids; DNA damage; cancer; cell signaling; radiation biology; oxidative stress; lipids and biomembranes; lipid peroxidation
The introduction of Quantum Dots for research purposes has significantly contributed to our understanding of various fundamental questions and phenomena in Biomedicine and Life Sciences and comprises a rapidly developing field of science. Novel synthesis methods have provided a wide spectrum of Quantum Dots and related Nano-crystals and are now utilized in various biomedical applications, such as fluorescence microscopy, correlation spectroscopy, single-cell biochemistry, flow cytometry, DNA and protein arrays, immunoassays, cyto-and histochemistry, in situ hybridization, PCR, and Drug screening in a high throughput setting.
In order to bring recent developments and advancements in Nano-Crystal technology closer to Life Scientists and Students alike, thus both, educate as well as stimulate the integration of these novel thechnologies into Life Science research efforts, this special issue aims to actively recruit leading scientists in the field to share their knowledge.
High quality research papers, methodological papers, reviews or mini-reviews with regard to Synthesis, Biomedical-, and Life Science applications of Quantum Dots are considered for publication. In addition, purely educational papers from which students and researchers may benefit are very welcome. Previously unpublished original experimental and review papers are petitioned for regarding the following and related topics listed under keywords.
Dr. Gregor Drummen
Leading Papers and Reviews
- Caruthers, S.D.; Wickline, S.A.; Lanza, G.M. Nanotechnological applications in medicine. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 2007, 18, 26-30.
- Rao, J.; Dragulescu-Andrasi, A.; Yao, H. Fluorescence imaging in vivo: recent advances. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 2007, 18, 17-25.
- Jaiswal, J.K.; Simon, S.M. Imaging single events at the cell membrane. Nat. Chem. Biol. 2007, 3, 92-8.
- Kaji, N.; Tokeshi, M.; Baba, Y. Quantum dots for single bio-molecule imaging. Anal. Sci. 2007, 23, 21-4.
- Willner, I.; Basnar, B.; Willner, B. Nanoparticle-enzyme hybrid systems for nanobiotechnology. FEBS J. 2007, 274, 302-9. Review.
- Hernandez-Sanchez, B.A.; Boyle, T.J.; Lambert, T.N.; Daniel-Taylor, S.D.; Oliver, J.M.; Wilson, B.S.; Lidke, D.S.; Andrews, N.L. Synthesizing biofunctionalized nanoparticles to image cell signaling pathways. IEEE Trans Nanobioscience 2006, 5, 222-30.
- Gallego, O.; Puntes, V. What can nanotechnology do to fight cancer? Clin. Transl. Oncol. 2006, 8, 788-95.
- Du, W.; Wang, Y.; Luo, Q.; Liu, B.F. Optical molecular imaging for systems biology: from molecule to organism. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2006, 386, 444-57.
- Jares-Erijman, E.A.; Jovin, T.M. Imaging molecular interactions in living cells by FRET microscopy. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 2006, 10, 409-16.
- Scholes, G.D.; Rumbles, G. Excitons in nanoscale systems. Nat. Mater. 2006, 5, 683-96. Erratum in: Nat. Mater. 2006, 5, 920.
- Wang, M.D.; Shin, D.M.; Simons, J.W.; Nie, S. Nanotechnology for targeted cancer therapy. Expert Rev. Anticancer Ther. 2007, 7, 833-7.
- Fundamentals of Quantum Dots: Synthesis of Nanocrystals/Quantum Dots, Funtamental properties of Quantum Dots, Cytoxicity and Biocmpatibility
- Instrumentation: New developments in instrumentation and automation
- Applications in Life sciences and Biomedicine: Live cell imaging, Biomolecular sensing, Applications of Quantum dots in Cell Biology, Applications of Quantum dots in disease diagnosis and therapy, Other applications in Biomedicine
- Methodology: In depth "How to" papers
- Education: When and how to use Quantum Dots for research purposes, Basic information for Undergraduate, Graduate, MPhil, PhD students, Other educational topics
Article: Preparation and Characterization of Highly Fluorescent, Glutathione-coated Near Infrared Quantum Dots for in Vivo Fluorescence Imaging
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2008, 9(10), 2044-2061; doi:10.3390/ijms9102044
Received: 23 August 2008; in revised form: 23 October 2008 / Accepted: 28 October 2008 / Published: 29 October 2008| Cited by 37 | PDF Full-text (632 KB) | XML Full-text
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2008, 9(12), 2622-2638; doi:10.3390/ijms9122622
Received: 4 July 2008; in revised form: 20 November 2008 / Accepted: 10 December 2008 / Published: 17 December 2008| Cited by 10 | PDF Full-text (458 KB) | HTML Full-text | XML Full-text
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2009, 10(2), 441-491; doi:10.3390/ijms10020441
Received: 17 December 2008; in revised form: 22 January 2009 / Accepted: 23 January 2009 / Published: 3 February 2009| Cited by 86 | PDF Full-text (2633 KB) | HTML Full-text | XML Full-text
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2009, 10(2), 656-673; doi:10.3390/ijms10020656
Received: 8 January 2009; in revised form: 13 February 2009 / Accepted: 18 February 2009 / Published: 20 February 2009| Cited by 53 | PDF Full-text (322 KB) | HTML Full-text | XML Full-text
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2009, 10(4), 1930-1941; doi:10.3390/ijms10041930
Received: 4 March 2009; in revised form: 16 April 2009 / Accepted: 21 April 2009 / Published: 24 April 2009| Cited by 14 | PDF Full-text (394 KB) | HTML Full-text | XML Full-text
Article: Cytotoxic Effects of CdSe Quantum Dots on Maturation of Mouse Oocytes, Fertilization, and Fetal Development
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2009, 10(5), 2122-2135; doi:10.3390/ijms10052122
Received: 3 February 2009; in revised form: 26 April 2009 / Accepted: 28 April 2009 / Published: 14 May 2009| Cited by 14 | PDF Full-text (183 KB) | HTML Full-text | XML Full-text
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2010, 11(1), 154-163; doi:10.3390/ijms11010154
Received: 14 December 2009; in revised form: 30 December 2009 / Accepted: 5 January 2010 / Published: 12 January 2010| Cited by 15 | PDF Full-text (365 KB) | HTML Full-text | XML Full-text
Last update: 26 February 2014