- freely available
Social Sciences 2017, 6(2), 64; doi:10.3390/socsci6020064
3. Results and Discussion
3.1. Women’s Status before Rape
3.1.1. Her Role as a Family and Community Member
3.1.2. Her Role as a Loyal Wife and Guardian of Sexual Morality
3.2. Survivors’ Status
3.3. Cross-Cultural Impact of Rape: A Comparison
3.4. Restoring Lost Self and Social Esteem: A Second Chance for Survivors
Rites of purification are performed by traditional chiefs or other guardians of traditions with the ability to restore the power of life (Tempels 1959, p. 22; Defour 1982, p. 124) over that of death threatening the wellbeing of survivors, their families and their communities. In addition to traditional rituals, survivors turn to faith leaders such as pastors and priests and hope for purification through prayers to God. Those who are Christians believe purification of defilement can be obtained through the blood of Christ (Maisha 2016, p. 201).I gave a hen, $20, a gallon of hot alcohol, traditional alcohol, Plantains, salt, and oil; I brought the whole thing to them, to the baraza [Council of Elders]. They then invited families from the neighborhood; even passers-by were curious: ‘What is happening?’ They asked. ‘They are talking about the situation of the woman who was kidnapped in the forest by the militia; that is what they are talking about, so that the woman can live in all dignity again’ (Maisha 2016, p. 163), they were told.
Conflicts of Interest
- American Psychiatric Association. 2013. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th ed.Arlington: APA. [Google Scholar]
- Brown, Carly. 2012. Rape as a weapon of war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Torture 22: 24–37. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Cazeneuve, Jean. 1971. Sociologie du Rite (Tabou, Magie, Sacré). Paris: Universitaires de France Presses. [Google Scholar]
- Creswell, John W. 2007. Qualitative Inquiry & Research Design: Choosing among Five Approaches. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications Inc. [Google Scholar]
- Defour, Georges. 1982. Religion Traditionnelle Africaine. Bukavu: Course Syllabus. [Google Scholar]
- Demasure, Karlijn. 2016. The impurity of Touch: A Practical Theological Reflection on Touch Taboo and Child Sexual Abuse. In Noli Me Tangere, Interdisciplinary Perspective: Textual, Iconographic and Contemporary Interpretations. Edited by Reinmund Bieringer, Baert Barbara and Karlijn Demasure. Leuven: BETL Peeters, pp. 355–75. [Google Scholar]
- Douglas, Mary. 2001. De la Souillure: Essai sur les Notions de Pollutions et de Tabou. Paris: Éditions de la Découverte. [Google Scholar]
- Gottlieb, Alma. 1982. Sex, Fertility and Menstruation among the Beng of the Ivory Coast: A Symbolic Analysis. Afric a 4: 35–48. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Guinamard, Louis. 2010. Survivantes: Femmes violées dans la guerre en République Démocratique du Congo. Paris: Les Éditions de l’Atelier/Éditions Ouvrières. [Google Scholar]
- Kathy, Charmaz. 2006. Constructing Grounded Theory. London and Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, pp. 72–95. [Google Scholar]
- Levi-Strauss, Claude. 1970. The Elementary Structures of Kinship. Oxford: Alden Press, p. 33. [Google Scholar]
- Lombard, Matthew, Jennifer Snyder-Duch, and Cheryl C. Bracken. 2004. Practical Resources for Assessing and Reporting Intercoder Reliability in Content Analysis Research. Available online: http://matthewlombard.com/reliability/ (accessed on 25 May 2017).
- Maisha, Buuma. 2014. Les Tabous Sexuels en Afrique Subsaharienne: Typologie et Analyse Psychosociologique. Ph.D. Thesis, Saint Paul University, Ottawa, ON, Canada. [Google Scholar]
- Maisha, Buuma. 2016. Images de Soi et de L’autre Souillées: La Question des Tabous Sexuels en Thérapie et L’apport du Rite de Purification Dans la Reconstruction du ‘Soi’ Chez la Femme Victime de Viol à L’Est de la République Démocratique du Congo. Ph.D. Thesis, Saint Paul University, Ottawa, ON, Canada. Available online: https://www.ruor.uottawa.ca/handle/10393/34888 (accessed on 25 May 2017). [Google Scholar]
- Moufflet, Véronique. 2008. Le paradigme du viol comme arme de guerre à l’Est de la République démocratique du Congo. Afrique Contemporaine 3: 119–33. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Mouter, Niek, and Diana Vonk Noordegraaf. 2012. Intercoder Reliability for Qualitative Research. You Win Some, But Do You Lose Some as Well? Delft: Trail Research School, p. 8. [Google Scholar]
- Omanyondo, Claire Ohambe Marie, Muhigwa Jean Berkmans Bahananga, and Barnabé Mulyumba Wa Mamba. 2005. Women’s Bodies as a Battleground: Sexual Violence against Women and Girls during the War in the Democratic Republic of Congo: South Kivu (1996–2003). London: International Alert. [Google Scholar]
- Ricoeur, Paul. 1967. The Symbolism of Evil. Boston: Beacon Press. [Google Scholar]
- Tempels, Placide. 1959. Bantu Philosophy. Paris: Présence africaine. [Google Scholar]
- UN Security Committee. 2012. Report on the War in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Available online: http://www.securitycouncilreport.org/atf/cf/%7B65BFCF9B-6D27-4E9C-8CD3-CF6E4FF96FF9%7D/DRC%20S%202012%20348.pdf (accessed on 29 April 2017).
- Radio Okapi. 2016. RDC: Les viols portés devant les tribunaux ont baissé d'environ 25% en 2015. Available online: http://www.radiookapi.net/2016/01/26/actualite/justice/rdc-les-viols-portes-devant-les-tribunaux-ont-baisse-denviron-25-en (accessed on 29 April 2017).
- Human Rights Watch. 2000. HRW Report. Eastern Congo Ravaged. Available online: https://www.hrw.org/legacy/english/docs/2000/05/16/congo5784_txt.htm (accessed on 25 May 2017).
- Kathy 2006).
- 3Dr. Maisha and Dr. Joulain were colleagues when this research project was conducted, they both agreed to exchange inter coding services on each other’s projects.
- 6The news outlet reported a decrease by 25% of overall number of rape cases reported to tribunals, and 34% decrease of reported cases where the perpetrators were military personnel (Radio Okapi 2016).
© 2017 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).