Next Article in Journal
Multi-Criteria Framework to Assess Large Scale Water Resources Policy Measures
Previous Article in Journal
Implications of Extracellular Polymeric Substance Matrices of Microbial Habitats Associated with Coastal Aquaculture Systems
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Water 2016, 8(9), 362; doi:10.3390/w8090362

Monthly Precipitation Patterns in a Region Vulnerable to Climate-Related Hazards—A Case Study from Poland

1
Kuyavian-Pomeranian Research Centre, Institute of Technology and Life Sciences, Bydgoszcz 85174, Poland
2
Institute of Meteorology and Water Management-National Research Institute, 60594 Poznan, Poland
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Ataur Rahman
Received: 10 June 2016 / Revised: 10 August 2016 / Accepted: 15 August 2016 / Published: 29 August 2016
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [2788 KB, uploaded 29 August 2016]   |  

Abstract

Precipitation totals at annual and monthly scale are key elements affecting water availability for a number of human activities. Thus, the multi-year variability and probability distribution of precipitation form the basis information for water management and damage risk assessment (caused by drought and heavy rains). The main goal of this paper is to analyse the precipitation patterns and to determine the non-exceedance probability (p, %) of extreme monthly precipitation in the region influenced by lignite mining and dominated by traditional agricultural production. Monthly precipitation totals recorded in 1961–2010 at four weather stations close to the analysed region were examined, including comparative analysis of precipitation patterns between the stations. Different non-exceedance probability (p, %) was determined with focus on extreme precipitation. Annual and monthly precipitation was characterised by a large variation of values. Temporal variability was larger than the spatial variability. The highest average sums were registered in July and the lowest in February. Minimum monthly precipitation (<10 mm) were recorded between January and April, and in October at all four weather stations. Maximum totals, amounting to more than 200 mm, were noted in July. The largest share of absolute minimum and maximum monthly precipitation was recorded at the turn of 20th and 21st centuries. Temporal and spatial distribution of precipitation for very dry, abnormally dry and extremely dry months (p ≤ 20%) were characterised by lower dispersion of values compared with wet months (p ≥ 80%). The precipitation probability distribution at p ≤ 20% may be useful to determine agricultural drought risk assessment in the region. Monthly precipitation at p ≥ 80% may be the background for planning drainage system efficiency and assessment of flooding risk of lignite deposits. View Full-Text
Keywords: precipitation totals; precipitation non-exceedance probability; the Lignite Mine Belchatow region; agriculture precipitation totals; precipitation non-exceedance probability; the Lignite Mine Belchatow region; agriculture
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Kasperska-Wołowicz, W.; Smarzyńska, K.; Miatkowski, Z.; Bolewski, T.; Farat, R. Monthly Precipitation Patterns in a Region Vulnerable to Climate-Related Hazards—A Case Study from Poland. Water 2016, 8, 362.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Water EISSN 2073-4441 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top