Next Article in Journal
Fostering Sustainable Urban-Rural Linkages through Local Food Supply: A Transnational Analysis of Collaborative Food Alliances
Previous Article in Journal
Human-Scale Sustainability Assessment of Urban Intersections Based upon Multi-Source Big Data
Article Menu
Issue 7 (July) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Sustainability 2017, 9(7), 1157; doi:10.3390/su9071157

Evaluation of Logistic Regression and Multivariate Adaptive Regression Spline Models for Groundwater Potential Mapping Using R and GIS

1
BK21 Plus Project of the Graduate School of Earth Environmental Hazard System, Pukyong National University, Busan 48513, Korea
2
Department of Geological Sciences, Pusan National University, Busan 46241, Korea
3
Department of Spatial Information Engineering, Pukyong National University, Busan 48513, Korea
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 7 June 2017 / Revised: 28 June 2017 / Accepted: 29 June 2017 / Published: 2 July 2017
(This article belongs to the Section Sustainable Engineering and Science)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [2925 KB, uploaded 6 July 2017]   |  

Abstract

This study mapped and analyzed groundwater potential using two different models, logistic regression (LR) and multivariate adaptive regression splines (MARS), and compared the results. A spatial database was constructed for groundwater well data and groundwater influence factors. Groundwater well data with a high potential yield of ≥70 m3/d were extracted, and 859 locations (70%) were used for model training, whereas the other 365 locations (30%) were used for model validation. We analyzed 16 groundwater influence factors including altitude, slope degree, slope aspect, plan curvature, profile curvature, topographic wetness index, stream power index, sediment transport index, distance from drainage, drainage density, lithology, distance from fault, fault density, distance from lineament, lineament density, and land cover. Groundwater potential maps (GPMs) were constructed using LR and MARS models and tested using a receiver operating characteristics curve. Based on this analysis, the area under the curve (AUC) for the success rate curve of GPMs created using the MARS and LR models was 0.867 and 0.838, and the AUC for the prediction rate curve was 0.836 and 0.801, respectively. This implies that the MARS model is useful and effective for groundwater potential analysis in the study area. View Full-Text
Keywords: groundwater potential; logistic regression; multivariate adaptive regression splines; groundwater potential map; groundwater potential analysis groundwater potential; logistic regression; multivariate adaptive regression splines; groundwater potential map; groundwater potential analysis
Figures

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Park, S.; Hamm, S.-Y.; Jeon, H.-T.; Kim, J. Evaluation of Logistic Regression and Multivariate Adaptive Regression Spline Models for Groundwater Potential Mapping Using R and GIS. Sustainability 2017, 9, 1157.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Sustainability EISSN 2071-1050 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top