Next Article in Journal
Study of Epigenetic Properties of Poly(HexaMethylene Biguanide) Hydrochloride (PHMB)
Next Article in Special Issue
Sociobehavioral Factors Associated with Caries Increment: A Longitudinal Study from 24 to 36 Months Old Children in Thailand
Previous Article in Journal
The Longer You Stay, the Worse Your Health? A Critical Review of the Negative Acculturation Theory among Asian Immigrants
Previous Article in Special Issue
Maternally Perceived Barriers to and Facilitators of Establishing and Maintaining Tooth-Brushing Routines with Infants and Preschoolers
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2014, 11(8), 8058-8068; doi:10.3390/ijerph110808058

Factors Associated with No Dental Treatment in Preschoolers with Toothache: A Cross-Sectional Study in Outpatient Public Emergency Services

1
Division of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculdade de Odontologia, Federal University of Goias, 1 av., Setor Universitario, 74605-220 Goiania-Goias, Brazil
2
Health Sciences Graduate Program, Federal University of Goias, 74605-020 Goiania-Goias, Brazil
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 3 June 2014 / Revised: 28 July 2014 / Accepted: 29 July 2014 / Published: 8 August 2014
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Social and Environmental Determinants of Oral Health)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [181 KB, uploaded 8 August 2014]   |  

Abstract

Many parents rely on emergency services to deal with their children’s dental problems, mostly pain and infection associated with dental caries. This cross-sectional study analyzed the factors associated with not doing an oral procedure in preschoolers with toothache attending public dental emergency services. Data were obtained from the clinical files of preschoolers treated at all nine dental emergency centers in Goiania, Brazil, in 2011. Data were children’s age and sex, involved teeth, oral procedures, radiography request, medications prescribed and referrals. A total of 531 files of children under 6 years old with toothache out of 1,108 examined were selected. Children’s mean age was 4.1 (SD 1.0) years (range 1–5 years) and 51.6% were girls. No oral procedures were performed in 49.2% of cases; in the other 50.8%, most of the oral procedures reported were endodontic intervention and temporary restorations. Primary molars were involved in 48.4% of cases. With the exception of “sex”, the independent variables tested in the regression analysis significantly associated with non-performance of oral procedures: age (OR 0.7; 95% CI 0.5–0.8), radiography request (OR 3.8; 95% CI 1.7–8.2), medication prescribed (OR 7.5; 95% CI 4.9–11.5) and patient referred to another service (OR 5.7; 3.0–10.9). Many children with toothache received no oral procedure for pain relief. View Full-Text
Keywords: dental pain; children; dental health services dental pain; children; dental health services
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Machado, G.C.M.; Daher, A.; Costa, L.R. Factors Associated with No Dental Treatment in Preschoolers with Toothache: A Cross-Sectional Study in Outpatient Public Emergency Services. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2014, 11, 8058-8068.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health EISSN 1660-4601 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top