Next Article in Journal
Previous Article in Journal
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2010, 11(7), 2681-2698; doi:10.3390/ijms11072681
Article

Principal Component Analysis of HPLC Retention Data and Molecular Modeling Structural Parameters of Cardiovascular System Drugs in View of Their Pharmacological Activity

1
, 1
, 2
 and 3,*
Received: 22 April 2010; in revised form: 11 June 2010 / Accepted: 28 June 2010 / Published: 9 July 2010
(This article belongs to the Section Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [372 KB, uploaded 19 June 2014]   |   Browse Figures
Abstract: Evaluation of relationships between molecular modeling structural parameters and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) retention data of 11 cardiovascular system drugs by principal component analysis (PCA) in relation to their pharmacological activity was performed. The six retention data parameters were determined on three different HPLC columns (Nucleosil C18 AB with octadecylsilica stationary phase, IAM PC C10/C3 with chemically bounded phosphatidylcholine, and Nucleosil 100-5 OH with chemically bounded propanodiole), and using isocratically acetonitrile: Britton-Robinson buffer as the mobile phase. Additionally, molecular modeling studies were performed with the use of HyperChem software and MM+ molecular mechanics with the semi-empirical AM1 method deriving 20 structural descriptors. Factor analysis obtained with the use of various sets of parameters: structural parameters, HPLC retention data, and all 26 considered parameters, led to the extraction of two main factors. The first principal component (factor 1) accounted for 44-57% of the variance in the data. The second principal component (factor 2) explained 29-33% of data variance. Moreover, the total data variance explained by the first two factors was at the level of 73-90%. More importantly, the PCA analysis of the HPLC retention data and structural parameters allows the segregation of circulatory system drugs according to their pharmacological (cardiovascular) properties as shown by the distribution of the individual drugs on the plane determined by the two principal components (factors 1 and 2).
Keywords: high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC); cardiovascular system drugs; principal component analysis (PCA); molecular modeling parameters high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC); cardiovascular system drugs; principal component analysis (PCA); molecular modeling parameters
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Export to BibTeX |
EndNote


MDPI and ACS Style

Stasiak, J.; Koba, M.; Bober, L.; Bączek, T. Principal Component Analysis of HPLC Retention Data and Molecular Modeling Structural Parameters of Cardiovascular System Drugs in View of Their Pharmacological Activity. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2010, 11, 2681-2698.

AMA Style

Stasiak J, Koba M, Bober L, Bączek T. Principal Component Analysis of HPLC Retention Data and Molecular Modeling Structural Parameters of Cardiovascular System Drugs in View of Their Pharmacological Activity. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2010; 11(7):2681-2698.

Chicago/Turabian Style

Stasiak, Jolanta; Koba, Marcin; Bober, Leszek; Bączek, Tomasz. 2010. "Principal Component Analysis of HPLC Retention Data and Molecular Modeling Structural Parameters of Cardiovascular System Drugs in View of Their Pharmacological Activity." Int. J. Mol. Sci. 11, no. 7: 2681-2698.



Int. J. Mol. Sci. EISSN 1422-0067 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert